2 Part Discussion
Discussion: Reading Comprehension – PART 1
Comprehension of text is a key learning benchmark that students wrestle with on all levels. This can be affected by developmental factors, environmental factors, socio-cultural factors, and other indices. Often, a student will be able to read a passage of text without a problem, but when presented with questions about it or asked to reflect on it, he or she is unable to do so effectively. As a K-12 science teacher, you will need to be prepared for this, and be able to apply various strategies to support reading comprehension improvement.
For this discussion, you will start by watching two short video clips:
As you watch the videos, note the key vocabulary terms and strategies that stand out. Remember, you must be able to operationalize these when planning and teaching your units/lessons. Then, develop a main response in which you:
- Summarize your current conceptualization of reading comprehension in K-12 ELA classrooms.
- Discuss how reading comprehension applies to students identified as “high-risk.”
- Explain the connection between reading comprehension and college or career readiness.
Discussion: Culturally Responsive Teaching – PART 2
Please answer the following questions in your main response to this discussion.
- What are some challenges that culturally and linguistically diverse learners may face in a general education classroom?
- What culturally responsive practices you will implement in your classroom to meet the needs of culturally and linguistically diverse learners?
Each discussion part 1 and part 2 should be seprate with their own citations. Each should have at least 3 paragraphs. Please let me know what information from books or lessons you need.