900 words writing exercise
Write about the interplay between an author’s life(Stephen Crane’s Biography) and one of the short stories we have read so far(The Open Boat). In what specific ways does an author’s life influence his fiction? Please use only the biographical sketch provided in the LibGuides site as your biographical source.
- Here are some strategies that can guide you in making connections between an author’s life and his/her writing:
- compare the setting of a short story to the author’s biography;
- determine if one of the characters in the literary text reminds you of the author.
- Before writing your paper please review the following: (a) Writing about Literature(Links to an external site.) ; (b) Creating a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.) ; (c)Introductions, Body Paragraphs, and Conclusions for Argument Papers (Links to an external site.) . For an overview of how to do a “compare and contrast” paper please read Writing in Literature: Writing the Prompt Paper (Links to an external site.) .
- Your paper needs to be at least 3-4 pages in length (double space, 12 pt.). Please be sure to include a standard MLA heading in the left-hand corner of the first page of your paper.
- Use examples from the texts to support your points; cite sources using MLA citations style.
- Submit it by attaching your document and clicking the green Submit button.
- This assignment is due on Monday, 10 a.m. on the date specified in the course calendar.
You will learn to develop an argument to interpret a work of literature. This activity is in alignment with course level learning objective 1.