Visit a massively multiplayer online game MMOG (e.g. World of Warcraft, Eve, NeverWinter) and answer the following:
- General social issues
- What is the purpose of the MMOG?
- What kinds of conversations are supported?
- How is awareness supported of the others in the MMOG?
- What kinds of social protocols and conventions are used?
- What kinds of awareness information are provided?
- Does the mode of communication and interaction seem natural or awkward?
- How do players coordinate their actions in the game?
- Specific interaction design issues
- What form of interaction and communication is supported, e.g. text/audio/video?
- What other visualizations are included? What information do they convey?
- How do users switch between different modes of interaction, e.g. exploring and chatting? Is the switch seamless?
- Are there any social phenomena that occur specific to the context of the MMOG that wouldn’t happen in face-to-face settings
- Design issues
What other features might you include in the MMOG to improve communication, coordination and collaboration?