As a leader, communicating effectively can build relationships, accelerate business results, and inspire to a cause. Communicating efficiently also involves listening and asking the right questions.
For this assignment, you will apply the key concepts from Weeks 1-6 to evaluate and improve a deteriorating business communication situation. Please note, the channel of choice for these types of communication situations may be speaking to the individuals directly, whether in-person or by phone. However, for this assignment, we want to see how you would improve the written correspondence to build the professional relationship and create a win-win outcome.
- Read the Cherie Cosmetics Limited Elegante Division case study several times.
- Write a 3-5 page paper that addresses the following:
- Summarize the case study. (Suggested length: 1-2 paragraphs)
- Identify the key communication issues of the case. (Suggested length: 1-2 paragraphs)
- Revise the “Interoffice Correspondence” to Bob Shaw. (Suggested length: 1-2 pages)
- Explain your revised approach and how it will lead to a more productive outcome. (Suggested length: 1-2 pages)
- What strategic communication choices did you make to increase clarity, effectiveness, and support?
- What techniques did you use to build connections, trust, and inspire action? Critical elements for the Interoffice Correspondence:
- Is the correspondence logical, succinct, clear, and well-organized?
- Is the right tone/amount of empathy, respect, warmth, authenticity, and engagement to ensure a collaborative win-win?
- Did you ask targeted questions?
- Did you clearly demonstrate your objectives and key messages?
- Did you establish credibility and context?
- Did you show vulnerability and create a connection, as appropriate?
- Did you apply professional formatting choices?
- Did you check for grammar and spelling errors?