(Choose one of the following questions from #1 – #5)
1. Discuss Zoroastrianism and its influence on the great monotheistic religions. Would it be helpful for for these religions to study Zoroastrianism as way to better understand their own religions? Would this challenge the assumptions many hold about these religions uniqueness as world religions?
2. Is being “Jewish” a religious, cultural, or ethnic identity? How has the concept of a “chosen people” influenced Jewish life and thought?
3. World attention is regularly focused on the state of Israel, its neighbors and the peace process. Utilizing the Course Material and Social Media, how might a study of Judaism shed light on events in the Middle East?
4. Compare and contrast Catholicism or Protestantism with one other Christian tradition. The field for your comparison is as follows: (a) Christian Science, (b) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, (c) Jehovah’s Witnesses, or (d) Seventh-day Adventists. In structuring your response, isolate and respond to at least two (2) issues/problems in understanding Christianity that are raised by this question.
5. Turkey is a secularized country in a nation whose citizens are overwhelmingly Muslim. Controversy exists whether to ban religious attire all together (in government buildings and institutions) or to permit individuals to wear religious attire, like the hijab or burqa. Looking at the European issues, especially in France, as well as the issues faced in Turkey; Utilizing the Course Material and Social Media discuss the banning vs. permission of people to wear religious attire in a secular country that allows religious freedom.
(Choose one of the following questions from A – D)
A. How significant do you think it is for the Jews to “remember” communally by celebrating an annual festive dinner such as the Seder (Passover meal)?
B. What do you think is Moses’ most significant teaching for your understanding of religious spirituality?
C. a. What is the decisive meaning of the Incarnation for all Christian spirituality? b. What is the critical significance of Jesus’ resurrection for all Christina spirituality?
D. Do you find anything in the teaching and example of Muhammad that is universally applicable to human spirituality, apart from particular religious worldview?