Following the steps given in “Guide to Exegesis,” as well as the “Sample Exegesis James 1:19-21,” complete a full exegesis of Philippians 4:10-14 or an alternative passage assigned or approved by your instructor.
- Analyze the sentences and paragraph.
- Complete a word study.
- Examine historical and sociological contexts.
- Prepare a genre and theological analysis.
- Apply the biblical insights you have gained from this passage to a ministry situation.
- Write a summary of 100-150 words on the meaning and main issues of the passage.
The entire assignment will be 1,500-2,000 words.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following competencies:
CoT Program Competency for the BA-Christian Studies Biblical Studies Emphasis:
Domain 1: Biblical Foundation
1.3: Demonstrate an ability to analyze, interpret, and apply the Bible to ministry and life.
Here are some tips for the final assignment:
1. Carefully follow the six steps listed in the assignment. The sample exegesis has a section that we did not cover “Section One—Establishing the text” and it does not cover all of the six steps listed in the assignment. Follow the assignment and you will be fine.
2. For the final assignment you can study Phil 4:21-23 (as indicated in the syllabus), but it is not an ideal passage to analyze for a final, if you would like use Phil. 4:10-14, you can use that. It is up to you.