Assignment 3: Problem Solving
Due Week 9 and worth 150 points
When faced with a problem, what do you do to solve it? This assignment asks you to apply a six-step to problem solving process to a specific problem scenario. You will write a paper that presents a synthesis of your ideas about solving the problem using this systematic approach. As Voltaire said, “No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking.”
Choose one (1) of the problem scenarios as a topic choice for your paper. (Note: Your professor must approve your topic choice before you begin work on the assignment.)
Scenario 1: As the Human Resource Department (HRD) employee, you are responsible for employee training at a company in the US. Recently, following a company-wide training session, it became obvious that a number of employees did not understand much of the training. You realize that the employees are struggling with company correspondence and other documents written in jargon or obscure language. This makes it especially difficult for non-native speakers of English to comply with written instructions and company policy, and you suspect that many documents are written at a level that even native speakers do not fully comprehend. This scenario may require services never offered before, and the company’s not sure where to begin. You talk with the manager of the non-English speaking employees and he gets very angry and tells you that anyone living in the US should know English or go back where they came from. What should the HRD employee do at this point?
Review the six-step problem solving process outlined in the webtext, based on the article “The Problem Solving Process” located at http://www.gdrc.org/decision/problem-solve.html:
- Step One: Define the problem
- Step Two: Analyze the problem
- Step Three: Generate options
- Step Four: Evaluate options
- Step Five: Make your decision
- Step Six: Implement and reflect
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Define the problem in the scenario that you have chosen.
- Analyze the problem in the scenario.
- Generate options for solving the problem in the scenario.
- Evaluate the options for solving the problem.
- Decide on the best option for solving the problem.
- Explain how you will implement the decision made and reflect on whether this option was the most effective.
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and organized writing:
- Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph.
- Address main ideas in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
- Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and spelling.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA Style format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.