Instructions for Essay 1:
Topic: The Use of Smartphones
- Body paragraphs
- Facts about using the smartphones
- Advantages of using the smartphones
- Disadvantages of using the smartphones
Purpose: To inform and educate the reader about a certain topic. Informative essays are not for providing an opinion or convincing the reader to agree with you. Think of yourself as an educator teaching the reader about a topic they are unfamiliar with.
General instructions: Write a college-level academic essay in which you inform the reader of a particular topic.
The essay should demonstrate that you understand the topic thoroughly. I would suggest you choose a topic you are already interested in and familiar with. You must provide proper MLA citation.
Essay structure:Basic Essay Format
- Introduction – presents the topic, outlines the main points, and ends with the thesis
- Thesis – clearly and concisely establishes the purpose and focus of the essay
- Body paragraphs – Minimum of 3 paragraphs that present all of the important facts and main points presented in the introduction. All body paragraphs should include:
- Topic sentence
- 3 or more sentences that provide supporting details
- Transition into the next paragraph
- Concluding paragraph – summarizes the main points
*All paragraphs should be a minimum of 5 sentences each.
Length: 750 words minimum (about 3 pages)
Format: Microsoft Word document, double-spaced, 12-point font in Times New Roman, with MLA-style first-page heading, headers, etc. (Use your MLA Template)
Documentation:You must include in-text citations in your paper and all sources must be listed on your Works Cited page in correct MLA format.
Submission method: Electronically using TurnItIn in Canvas.
Points possible: 100.