Tiered instruction and support programs are often implemented on a school or district-wide level. Response to Intervention (RTI) and Multi-tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) are common programs that provide a framework for assessment, delivery of instruction, provision of supports, and guidelines for referrals for eligibility in special education. The law requires that teams document efforts to support students in general education settings before they can be referred for special education evaluation. Not all students who struggle have a documented disability or meet eligibility requirements. Teachers and staff must address screening and assessment to identify the needs of students and make data-driven decisions regarding delivery of instruction, needed supports, and referrals when necessary for additional supports and services. RTI is a framework that includes general supports for all students, supports that are more specific for at-risk students, and identification of students who need interventions that are more intensive.
Create a 15-20 slide digital presentation providing an introduction to Response to Intervention (RTI) to new educators.
Within your presentation, provide:
- An overview of RTI, to include an explanation of the RTI tiers.
- An explanation of what factors determine appropriate student placement within the RTI tiers.
- How the RTI model can help meet the needs of students with and without disabilities.
- Five examples of research-based intervention strategies across multiple RTI levels for students with and without disabilities who are struggling in English language arts or mathematics.
- A title slide, reference slide, and presenter’s notes.
Support your presentation with the topic readings and two additional scholarly resources.
While GCU style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using GCU documentation guidelines, which can be found in the GCU Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.