For this essay, you should summarize/respond to it in a formal essay. The summary/response essay asks you first to summarize the main points of the article and to respond to those points by agreeing, disagreeing, or agreeing with some but not all of the arguments made in the article. You should include evidence (from the article, from your own reasoning, from examples, from experiences, etc.) to support your response.
- 600- 900 words (approx. 2-3 pages)
- An interesting and informative title
- MLA format with in-text citations and works cited page
- An introductory paragraph that tells readers what article you are responding to and that includes a thesis statement
- One or more paragraphs that summarize the article
- One or more paragraphs that respond to the article
- A conclusion paragraph that wraps up the main ideas in the essay.
Skills assessed in this assignment
- Paragraph development
- Reading comprehension
- Understanding the rhetorical situation
- Summary / Paraphrase
- MLA documentation
- Revising / editing