students are individually responsible for writing a short literature review on the topic of Youth Suicide. This review must be a minimum of 1,500 words, including a title page, abstract, and reference page. APA formatted is required!
each student will pick from one of six sub-topics. After the sub-topic has been assigned, each student will write a literature review using three articles (all on the same sub-topic) posted on the course website. You may not use any other articles or sources. The sub-topics are as follows:
- LGBT Youth and Suicide
- Minority Youth and Suicide
- Family Factors and Youth Suicide
- Bullying and Youth Suicide
- Youth Offenders/Homeless Youth and Suicide
- Prevention of Youth Suicide
For this literature review, it is important for students to show their knowledge about the research topic.
This literature review is different from an annotated bibliography, which is a listing of articles with descriptions. A critical review is not a string of summaries, it is a synthesized review. In other words, students do not simply write a short review of each research study, but tie the research studies together into a “story” or “conversation.” Examples of literature reviews will be provided to you.
This process requires some insight and interpretation, not evaluation. Keep in mind that personal opinions are not included in a literature review.
Report what is relevant to your study and ignore what is not. This means you need to read the abstract, the introduction and conclusion of your articles. And, for long articles, focus on the parts that relate to your topic.
**At the end of the literature review, you will also need to write a two-paragraph summary of what you have learned about the topic from the three articles. This includes critique and reflection about the “story,” not the individual articles.**
Avoid long quotes in your review, and paraphrase whenever possible.
Maximum quotes = 2 short quotes (less than 40 words each).
Correct APA formatting is also required – double-spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman font, 1 inch margins all around, APA in-text citations and a reference page. Run spelling and grammar checks and double-check your APA formatting. Be sure to CITE your sources throughout the review.
Short Literature Reviews will be graded according to the following criteria:
- Content and Development (Total points: 60)
- Paper adequately synthesizes the key ideas and conclusions from the three articles and puts them in conversation with one another: 60 Points
- Mechanics and Style (Total points: 40)
- APA rules of spelling, grammar, usage, and punctuation are followed: 30 Points
- Sentences are complete, clear, and concise, and the tone is appropriate to the content and assignment: 10 Points