Literature on Democratic Governance
In this week’s Discussion, you analyzed founding documents of American democracy to determine how democratic concepts and principles are manifested in those early writings, including the Declaration of Independence and The Constitution. For this Assignment, you are asked to shift your thoughts to the Federalist Papers. The Federalist Papers are a series of 85 essays written by Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay supporting the ratification of the Constitution. Although often overlooked in mainstream education in favor of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution, The Federalist papers are the best description of the founders’ intent for governance of their new nation. The proposed Constitution was sent to the states for ratification in September 1787. Articles soon appeared and became known as the “Anti-Federalist Papers” which became critical to the new Constitution. In response, Hamilton decided to defend ratification of the new Constitution and began an extensive explanation.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review the articles “Federalist Paper No. 10,” “Federalist Paper No. 51,” and “Federalist Paper No. 78.”
- Peruse the Walden Library, academic databases, and the Internet for current literature on The Federalist Papers, particularly 10, 51, and 78.
- Reflect on of the significance of the three selected Federalist Papers (10, 51, and 78) for democratic governance today.
- Think about how each of the three selected Federalist Papers could be applied to a current situation today.
this is the question
- Briefly describe what The Federalist Papers are, why they were written, who the authors were, and why the papers are important today.
- Describe Federalist Papers 10, 51, and 78. Explain how each can be applied to governance today.
- Explain which of the three selected Federalist Papers you believe has had the most significant impact on governance in America and explain why.
- If you live outside the United States, explain which of the three selected Federalist Papers most closely resembles a principle of government in your country and explain why.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resource snot included in the Learning Resources for this course.