These are additional film extra credit opportunities. Part of the assignment is being able to find these films. Once upon a time, you could go and rent them at a local video store. However, since those no longer exist, finding them might be more of a challenge if they aren’t offered streaming by major corporations like Netflix and Amazon.
1. Watch the documentary Crumb and write a 2 page response focusing on the controversy surrounding Crumb’s art and whether you think the criticism holds up or is it missing the point of what Crumb means to convey.
2. Watch the movie American Splendor and write a 2 page review.
3. Watch the movie Exit Through The Gift Shop and write a 2 page response focusing on what the movie is attempting to say about commodification of art.
4. Watch the movie Popaganda and write a 2 page response, responding to Ron English’s views on art.
5. Watch the movie Ghost World and write a 2 page review.
6. Watch the documentary The Punk Singer and write a 2 page response, explaining how Kathleen Hanna fits in to 3rd Wave Feminism.
7. Watch the film The Big Short and write a 2 page response, comparing it to what Cunningham outlined in The Age of Selfishness.
8. Watch the 2012 documentary The Shock Doctrine and write a 2 page response relating Naomi Klein’s ideas back to things we have read this semester.
NOTE: These responses are due the final day of class. If you have already watched or read these titles, you can not rely on memory – you must re-watch or re-read them.