Week 10’s Assignment
For this Assignment, along with reviewing the video Two Student Presentations on the use of Visual Aids in this week’s Learning Resources, please also review the other resources, including the 12 tips for creating a better presentation. Explore how PowerPoint can be used to create an effective presentation. Consider other types of visual aids that can be used to communicate criminal justice data.
- Assignment (1-2 pages)
- Find three sets of raw numbers from criminal justice resources. The data can address recidivism rates, gun control, victimization or any other topic of interest to you.
- This means you will be creating your own charts and tables. You are not copying an already created table or chart and turning it in, which also means you must include the complete citation/reference so I can review your submission and data
- Then create a visual aid for each of the sets of raw numbers (for a total of 3 visual aids). These can include graphs, tables, pictures, etc.
- At least one of your visual aids should be a PowerPoint presentation.
- After you’ve created the visual aids, select 3 criminal justice settings such as policing, probation, courts, etc.
- Then explain how the visual aids are appropriate to each of the criminal justice settings you selected.
- Finally, describe the information presented in each of the visual aids you selected. Be sure to justify your responses using the Learning Resources and the current literature.
- Then find the visual aid documents you saved as “WK10Assgn+first initial+last name” and click Open.
- Be sure to attach all documents containing visual aids for the Week 10 Assignment before clicking Submit.
- Finally, click the Submit button to turn in your Assignment(s) for review.
- Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.
Week 10 Learning Resources
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of this week’s assigned Learning Resources. To access select media resources, please use the media player below.
Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
- Holzl, J. (1997). Twelve tips for effective PowerPoint presentations for the technologically challenged. Medical Teacher, 19(3), 175–179.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
- Piltch, C., & Terry, K.J. (2011). Visual aids in oral and written presentations. In A short guide to writing about criminal justice (113–126). Upper Saddle: River Prentice Hall.
Piltch, Charles; Terry, Karen J., Short Guide to Writing About Criminal Justice, A, 1st Edition, (C) 2011. Reprinted by permission of Pearson Education, Inc. Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Krieger, S. (2011). 12 tips for creating better PowerPoint presentations. Microsoft at Work. Retrieved from http://www.microsoft.com/business/en-nz/Content/Pages/article.aspx?cbcid=64
- Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2011). Two student presentations. Baltimore: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 6 minutes.
The following document provides credit for Laureate-produced media within this course: Credits (PDF)
Please proceed to the Discussion.