What countries are involved in the conflict?
Assignment will be marked down for each day or fraction of a day late.
Describe a real, current conflict between two countries, using at least one news article published sometime after August 1, 2017, as a source. No more than 2 pages, double-spaced. Your summary should be well-written (with correct grammar and punctuation). The article you use should be from a mainstream news source (New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, BBC, Wall Street Journal, Al Jazeera, and so on). Note that the assignment is to describe a conflict, not to summarize an article. If you are using a source that does not help you fully describe the conflict, then find a different source.
Your description must include the following:
- What countries are involved in the conflict?
- What is the object of contention? How do their goals differ?
- Are either (or both) of the countries using threats to try to get what they want? Are they using violence?
Grades will be based on three things:
- Writing. The paper must have a clear thesis, stated early. The rest of the paper should contain facts and logic that support the thesis, and should properly cite sources. Sources must be cited properly, using a consistent citation format (e.g. MLA, APA, or Chicago).
- Analysis of conflict. You must show through the paper that you understand what “conflict” is.
- Description of the specific situation. You must show a basic understanding of the details of the conflict you choose.