Write a concept essay that explains, explores, and provides real-life analysis for the following:
Area 1: Introduction
- Identify and provide background context on the relationship
- Choose a communication-related aspect of the relationship that often leads to conflict that you would like to see improved
- Using the transactional process of communication, provide a specific example of the communication-related conflict.
Area 2: Language & Nonverbal Communication:
(Chapters 6 & 7)
- Choose one of the language rules that was violated OR a time in which disruptive language was utilized
- Provide an example of the rule or disruptive language and explain how it impacted the relationship.
- In addition, identify the main types of nonverbal communication that was present within the example and the functions that they served
- Reflect on how much gender or culture impacted the verbal and nonverbal communication
- Identify how using the language of responsibility will be more helpful to these situations in the future and how you could utilize the various functions of nonverbal communication to better convey your messages
- Reflect on whether or not you agree or disagree that language and nonverbal communication is a contributing factor to the communication-related conflict that you identified that needed improving. Why or why not?
Area 3: Listening
- Take the (you and the person chosen during the proposal)
- Provide a summary of the assessment results for both of you
- Identify which ineffective listening methods you utilize most often when listening in this relationship. Why do you utilize that ineffective listening method and how does it make them feel?
- Identify which ineffective listening method you feel they most often utilize when listening to you. How does that ineffective listening method make you feel?
- How will you utilize active listening in the future? What will be the hardest step in the active listening process for you to commit to and why?
- Reflect on whether or not you agree or disagree that listening is a contributing factor to the communication-related conflict that you identified that needed improving. Why or why not?
Area 4: Relational Dynamics
- Which of the reasons that we form relationships was most influential in forming the relationship you identified in the proposal to the relationship you identified in the proposal? What reasons are most influential to the relationship now and why?
- Identify which stage of Knapp’s Relational stages that you think the relationship currently reflects.
- Do you think that this is the most significant stage that your relationship has experienced? Why or why not? (If no, which stage. )
- Are you happy with your relationship being in this stage? Why or why not? If no, what stage would you like the relationship to move to and why?
- Reflect on whether or not you agree or disagree that your current stage of Knapp’s Relational Stages is a contributing factor to the communication-related conflict that you identified that needed improving. Why or why not?
Area 5: Conclusion
Chapters 11 & 12
- How did this project impact your understanding of the communication-related issue identified in the introduction?
- What conflict management strategies will you utilize in the future to help minimize or resolve the communication-related issue and other future conflicts within this relationship?
- What impact did the project have on your overall relationship?
The essay should be well written, using APA formatting and exploratory essay structures. In addition, the essay should:
- Include 4-6 content pages (double space)
- In addition, the expository essay should include, at minimum, two additional research sources. Both sources should be reputable and credible, but one has to be scholarly. These additional sources cannot be used to simply define a concept. Most of the concepts that you need to define are in the textbook, which you should still cite. The research should be used to find other ways to support your thoughts and ideas.
- The listening assessment should be included as an APA figure
- Reference page