1,000 word minimum
Your story should include the following elements:
- An exposition, rising action, a climax, and a conclusion
- Careful pacing that guides the reader from one event to the next
- Transitions to signal shifts in time, mood, and topic
Ask yourself these questions as you revise:
- Does my exposition give the reader enough information to understand what’s going on? Do I make it clear who all the people in the story are? Do I describe the setting vividly? Do I provide enough background?
- Does my rising action increase the tension? Am I sure that all the tension builds toward a climax?
- Does the climax solve the central problem in the story in a satisfying way?
- Do the falling action and conclusion show what happens after the climax? Do they avoid bringing in any new conflicts?
- Does my pacing fit the action of the scene? Do my transitions signal changes in pacing?